Thursday, September 28, 2006

For 31 days, my family is eating local

Say goodbye to oranges, coffee, fast food and Doritos. Pass the corn, beans and squash.

On Sunday, Oct. 1, my family begins a challenge to eat only locally grown food for the month of October.

I’m not sure we know what we’re in for. Why would anyone do such a thing?

Buying local food supports the area economy, preserves farmland and keeps farmers in business. It also is meant to raise awareness that Wisconsin is blessed with bushels of healthy eating choices.

I look forward to sharing the experiences of my family during the month of October.

3 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

Hey readers -- we'd love to hear your feedback on Mike Hoeft's blog.

Julie Riebe, online editor, Green Bay Press-Gazette

5:20 PM  
Blogger You dee said...

I do the same thing in Sweden when it comes to chicken and red meat. That way, I know, e.g.,
(1) how the animals were raised (VERY strict laws); (2) they weren' transported under horrific conditions, and (3) they weren't pumped up with hormones.

Mike's changed life style reminds me of the first 10-12 years of my life when I lived on a farm in southern Brown County.

2:26 AM  
Blogger k said...

And besides all the mentioned benefits of eating locally, I think the conservation of all the fossil fuels that are consumed that enable us to eat foods beyond 100 miles needs to be acknowledged and understood.
Hats off to you and your family for taking this challenge and sharing it with us.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home