Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Foraging takes some time

I received online comments from people asking good questions about the "how" to eat local food.
-- Who does the cooking and grocery shopping in the family? My wife and I both work full-time jobs outside the home, so I'd say we pretty much split the cooking duties.

I do breakfasts and she does dinner and the kids help make their own lunches for school. We go to farmers markets together to shop, but I've hit more of the outlying farms (and shopped for produce) as part of the research for this story.

-- What are the difficulties? The scavenger hunt for food and the meal-prep time has been more work than I thought. We'll try to look for shortcuts, like finding local food outlets and making big pots of booyah or chili to last a few days.

For example, Bill Foster runs Foster Organic Acres in Little Suamico and offers organic beef. His meats are available at Down to Earth, 2331 Velp Ave., Howard.
His produce also will be available when Naked Foods opens its full-service grocery store in Howard this fall.

We've also tried some new recipes because of this challenge. A good resource for cooks is "From Asparagus to Zucchini: A Guide to Cooking Farm Fresh Seasonal Produce" from the Madison Area Community Supported Agriculture Coalition. I got a copy for $20 at Keune Authentic Farms in Seymour. The A-Z guide offers tips on cooking, storing, freezing produce.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home